The Roland Iten R18 SUPERDRIVER belt buckle
And Now for Something Completely Different...
A Mechanical Belt Buckle Designed to appeal to the supercar aficionado in us all : Roland Iten Launches the R18 SUPERDRIVER
Roland Iten is a micro-mechanical genius. An industrial engineer by training, Iten has worked on projects for some of the world’s most recognizable companies – Bugatti, Purdey, FP Journe, and Jaeger-LeCoultre, to name just a few. Products he has designed include luxury watches, the world’s most expensive tennis trophy, jewelry, industrial machines, and more.
One of his side passions, however, is to work on things that make life more pleasurable and enjoyable. Of particular notes are his belt buckle systems.
... putting on a belt that has an engineered in Switzerland mechanical lever system is fun
“So far, I have created 11 different mechanical buckle systems,” Iten details. “One thing they all have in common is that you mount the buckle in the loose position, and you use a mechanically leveraged system to tighten the buckle by the distance of one hole. On some models, I experimented with a rolling-click system, on others a rachet system.
“My favorite system is based on leverage, and on this latest buckle — the R18 SuperDriver - I use six low friction wheels driving on three tracks along a powerful, mechanically leveraged flow carriage to produce the smoothest ride I have ever created so far.” Iten continues. “But technology aside, putting on a belt that has an engineered in Switzerland mechanical lever system is fun.”
Now, Roland Iten is introducing the R18 SuperDriver, a line of mechanical buckles inspired by super cars. They are a pleasure to wear, use, and, in particular, to manipulate.
Manufactured in Switzerland by Iten’s partner, Montanari S.A., the result is a playful mechanical object, one that is highly satisfying to the senses and even addictive. The simple action of loosening and tightening the belt buckle activates the series of low friction wheels, moving pinons, and a powerful, mechanically leveraged carriage that makes its manipulation both a delight to the touch and a pleasure to the ears with a subtle and gratifying series of clicks. Hence the two words that are most often used to describe Iten’s inventions: Seriously Playful™.
With the R18 SuperDriver, Iten takes a bespoke approach by offering clients the possibility of incorporating the lines of their own supercars into the design of the buckle. “The first few pieces of this collection have been customized for Bugatti Chiron owners, but using the same high-performance chassis, and within the same 3.4mm thickness of the hood, I can create any Supercar a client might desire — new or vintage,” Iten explains.
Want to replicate your super car on your waist, and have a mechanical object d’art? Look no further than the R18 SuperDriver from Roland Iten.
R18 Superdriver Technical Features
• 11 axel construction
• Six low friction wheels sliding on three tracks along a powerful, mechanically leveraged R18 SUPERDRIVER flow carriage with friction control
• Tension and impact control titanium architecture
• 0-35mm buckle expansion/ contraction range
• 169 components (of which there are 59 different individually-engineered components)
• Weight: 93 -122 grams (depending on the choice of materials)
• Self-locking mechanism to prevent accidental release
• Easy, one-handed discrete buckle expansion and contraction function
• Mechanical leveraged leather strap insertion clip
• Leather strap deformation control
• Guided single prong and buckle pointer
• 35mm calfskin leather straps are available in a wide choice of colors (exotic skins available on request)
• Buckles are available in 18-karat white gold, 18-karat 5N red gold, and/or steel, all with a titanium architecture and the ability to further customize some parts with colored titanium and/or aluminum components
Find out more
To hold on to the emotion, subscribe to our newsletter